Monday, September 1, 2014

Finally...A Simple Tutorial For Cool Canopies.

Well, I promised a video some time ago, but my attempt at a video was literally as boring as watching paint dry. So I went with the simple solution- a step-by-step tutorial on one of my newest projects.



Let me start by showing you an in-progress shot of my newest project: the Starship Troopers dropship in 10mm. I was using an old Micro Machine as my reference.

Now many hours later, here is how I do my canopies. STEP 1: Apply a very dark base color. A very dark shade of your desired color or a simple black will do. I have chosen black here.

STEP 2: I use a white craft paint to lay down some highlights on the cockpit canopy. This starts out with light brush strokes and the thinness of the paint actually helps this process. Then I build up a bit more white up in the corners.

STEP 3: After waiting for the white to completely dry, I decide to go with an aqua ink wash. I do NOT dilute my ink with any water. As you can see, the ink creates a nice, blended effect.

STEP 4: Adding the harsh reflections is a little tricky if you don't have a steady hand or haven't watched a lot of Japanese anime for inspiration. I switch to the Vallejo white because it is a thicker and more pure white color that is required for a really dramatic effect. You can just do some simple corner and edge lining and maybe put a couple of reflection dots in a corner or two, but I am not one for ho-hum! I like to make my canopy glass interesting.

3 comments:

  1. Very cool effect, and seems like it would be simplier to do that it appears from the results. (aka the best sort of painting "trick")

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've not yet had a need to do this, but I think I will very soon. So, thanks for the tutorial!

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete