Monday, September 1, 2014

Finally...A Simple Tutorial For Cool Canopies.

Well, I promised a video some time ago, but my attempt at a video was literally as boring as watching paint dry. So I went with the simple solution- a step-by-step tutorial on one of my newest projects.



Let me start by showing you an in-progress shot of my newest project: the Starship Troopers dropship in 10mm. I was using an old Micro Machine as my reference.

Now many hours later, here is how I do my canopies. STEP 1: Apply a very dark base color. A very dark shade of your desired color or a simple black will do. I have chosen black here.

STEP 2: I use a white craft paint to lay down some highlights on the cockpit canopy. This starts out with light brush strokes and the thinness of the paint actually helps this process. Then I build up a bit more white up in the corners.

STEP 3: After waiting for the white to completely dry, I decide to go with an aqua ink wash. I do NOT dilute my ink with any water. As you can see, the ink creates a nice, blended effect.

STEP 4: Adding the harsh reflections is a little tricky if you don't have a steady hand or haven't watched a lot of Japanese anime for inspiration. I switch to the Vallejo white because it is a thicker and more pure white color that is required for a really dramatic effect. You can just do some simple corner and edge lining and maybe put a couple of reflection dots in a corner or two, but I am not one for ho-hum! I like to make my canopy glass interesting.

16 comments:

  1. Very cool effect, and seems like it would be simplier to do that it appears from the results. (aka the best sort of painting "trick")

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've not yet had a need to do this, but I think I will very soon. So, thanks for the tutorial!

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. tutu app
    tutuapp apk
    tutu app free
    tutuapp vip
    but my attempt at a video was literally as boring as watching paint dry. So I went with the simple solution- a step-by-step tutorial on one of my newest projects.

    ReplyDelete
  4. framaroot
    framaroot apk

    but my attempt at a video was literally as boring as watching paint dry. So I went with the simple solution- a step-by-step tutorial on one of my newest projects.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Quality post, I have found my answer so Thanks alot
    https://mesotheliomacancer-lawsuit.co
    https://sicklecellanemiatreatment.co
    https://healthcurebeing.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. shareit download
    shareit
    shareit app
    shareit apk
    When we download apps from official repositories, we may assume that ... including Facebook, Facebook Messenger, ShareIt, and WeChat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. kingroot for pc
    kingroot pc
    download kingroot pc
    kingroot apk
    kingoroot
    kingroot downloadThanks for the post, it was a great blog. It really helps us how to improve our concentration power. Keep post more

    ReplyDelete
  8. www.outlook.com


    want alternates for this app chekout recent blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The fake Hublot Les Matinaux watch begins with a proprietary movement module developed for Les Matinaux by master watch-movement designer fake Cartier Jean-Francois Mojon. The movement begins life as a Swiss Made ETA 2892 automatic, and on top of it is placed the “X-Centric” module, which is quite impressive. fake IWC First, despite the different power consumption, the movement continues to operates at 4Hz with 42 hours of power fake Panerai reserve. Second, the system uses a careful system of rubies and aluminum rings to display the time (in a low-friction environment).
    A small bit of fake Vacheron Constantin the X-Centric module is visible through the skeletonized-seconds indicator disc. I like the small bit of decoration that reminds me replica watches of Paris architecture during the era when trends moved from Belle Epoque to Art Deco. It is a nice replica watches uk smattering of decor on an otherwise mostly industrial fake rolex product.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow ! Amazing information showing through your blog, it's a beautiful decoration things.Thanks for sharing.
    Tensile canopy Manufacturers in Jalandhar
    Tensile canopy Manufacturers in Punjab

    ReplyDelete

  11. Canon printer comes with numerous types, including multifunction, single function, photo print, scanning, copy, and other so many features; however, setting up a Canon model requires an almost similar process.
    canon.com/ijsetup | ij.start canon | ij.start.canon | http://ij.start.canon | https://ij.start.canon

    ReplyDelete

  12. Office provides all-purpose application bundle. Microsoft allowing users to make documents, presentations, calculations, and reports.
    Office.com/setup Home & Student 2019 | Office.com/setup Home Student 2019 | norton.com/setup | Cox webmail
    Login
    | Office.com/setup Home & Student 2019

    ReplyDelete